This tasty dessert dish was created by Ernest Lopez, Pastry Chef of Eilan Hotel, and is courtesy of our friends at Bug Vivant.
Chocolate Cremeux with Toasted Crickets
• 1 cup Heavy Cream
• 1 cup Whole Milk
• 1-1/4 teaspoon Powder Gelatin
• 1-1/4 cup Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
• 4 Yolks Separated
• 1/2 cup Whole Crickets lightly tossed with olive oil, kosher salt and toasted.
• 1/2 cup crushed cookies
• 2 tbsp cricket flour
1. In a small container, whisk together gelatin and ¼ cup of milk to bloom. Meanwhile in a small pot bring the remaining milk and cream to boil, careful not to over boil.
2. Remove from heat. In another small container, slowly temper hot liquid into the yolks.
3. Pour yolks back into the same pot. Cook mixture while stirring non-stop until temperature reaches between 156 °F – 160 °F.
4. Remove from heat again and then add bloomed gelatin mixture to hot custard and blend to fully incorporate. In a medium size bowl with chocolate, slowly pour hot mixture over it while stirring until the chocolate has completely melted.
5. Pass the final mixture through a fine sieve and chill over ice to achieve room temperature around 80 °F.
6. Place crickets in a desirable silicone mold, pour chocolate mixture gently over them and set in freezer until set.
7. Combine cookie crumbs and cricket flour.
8. Carefully remove each portion, serve at room temperature on top of chocolate cookie crumble and a refreshing tart flavored sorbet, garnished with black Chinese medicinal ants.